To get the best performance and service from your cam followers, you want to protect it from wear. In fact, metal-on-metal wear is a significant source of maintenance and downtime in cam-driven machines. And in heavy-duty applications like machine tools and industrial robots, deflection, thrust loads and dirty environments can make wear prevention especially challenging. Some of the common problems that can lead to wear include:
- Mounting errors. Improper mounting creates misalignment that produces thrust forces and metal contact between the bearing’s outer ring and side plate.
- High loads. Heavy loads create load deflections, causing uneven loading at the stud to induce wear and fatigue.
- Contamination. Incursion by dirt or abrasives result in early replacement.
- Heat. Metal-to-metal sliding contact causes heat that may break down the lubricant and reduce the cam follower’s life.
New IKO CR…VBS Series Cam Followers Are Sealed to Prevent Wear Thanks to ThrustDisk? Technology
When it comes to preventing wear in heavy-duty applications, look for cam followers designed to handle heavy loads and their associated thrust forces. IKO International’s cam follower family includes models especially suited for applications where thrust loads and contamination are present. The newly introduced CR…VBS Series, for example, combines the features and characteristics of its Inch Series cam followers — such as a small radial gap to alleviate impact load — with
a proprietary sealing technology called ThrustDisk?.
The ThrustDisk? seal is made from a synthetic resin material with a very low wear rate. Along with its built-in thrust washer, ThrustDisk? goes into sliding contact areas of the unit’s outer ring, stud head and slide plate to handle axial loads. This design prevents wear and friction caused by mounting errors, and it resists heat and keeps contaminants out to improve the bearing’s lifetime. Like other IKO cam followers, the series also includes:
- A low coefficient of friction.
- Good rotational performance.
- Hex head stud for easy mounting.
Thrust Load Handling Means Greater Reliability
When selecting a cam follower for high-load applications, the unit’s axial load handling is critical to its performance. Not only can a cam follower built to handle thrust loads offer a higher load capacity, it will give you greater reliability. IKO CR…VBS cam followers with ThrustDisk? sealing technology are ideal for handling heavy loads while offering wear and contamination resistance to deliver the performance and lifetime that heavy-duty applications demand.
For more information about the NEW CR… VBS Series cam followers with ThrustDisk? sealing technology, visit the product page.